Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ides of March


The first Shakespeare play I read was Antony and Cleopatra--then I promptly picked up Julius Caesar, mind you this was in the 8th grade. I had to look up the term "Ides", sadly we didn't have wikipedia back then so I couldn't read "A day in the Roman calendar, that marked the approximate middle of the month, i.e., the fifteenth day in the months of March, May, July, and October, and the thirteenth day in the other eight months." Shakespeare had used the term making it seem like a horrible horrible thing--he may have been right! Especially if you consider the SNOW we got last night. (insert audible groan)

Little did I know back then (that would be oh... graduated in '85 so '81 was my frosh year ..hmmm 1980!!! ye gods!) that today I would not only be enjoying a great program on HBO called Rome, or that my husband would become obsessed with House Julia -Nor did I know that my dear friend and favorite bead pusher Tarik would crack a joke in his myspace blog about "Cleopatra riding Pullo like a carousel horse" that would make me giggle maniacally at random moments. That is such a pretty image in my head. I have always admired Cleopatra and remembering that sex scene makes me VERY happy.

No comments: