Tuesday, February 19, 2008

the king of zen


On NPR this morning--"Today marks the 40th anniversary of the first nationwide broadcast of the PBS classic, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Fred Rogers died in 2003 but the show continues to air."

NPR then played a message Rogers had recorded to "us", those of us who grew up watching him change his sweater and shoes. Those of us secretly terrified by those horrible puppets. His speech included a line that I am paraphrasing, he said something like,

It sucks being a grown up. It is hard to find hope (something I am having a small moment with) but..and here is the part that made me tear up...I am going to tell you something I told you everyday when you were little..."I like you just the way you are."

dude..Mr. Rogers was the shit.

4 comments:

Gwyneth said...

Wow. I'm having a moment, too, and it made me tear up. Thanks. I missed it on the radio.

POW! (Paul Orselli Workshop, Inc.) said...

Mr. Rogers gave a talk at the Pittsbugh Children's Museum (his show originated in Pittsburgh.)

He started his talk by saying he was asked to provide inspiration to all of us. He then asked us all to take a good deep breath, since that's what his dictionary said "inspiration" was.

A genuinely nice and funny person!

Kate said...

it could be that i havent slept in two days but that made me cry.

i miss simplicity.

Lilim said...

I just started crying, in the middle of class. That'll teach me to stay on task, during a lecture, instead of exploring the Interweb....