Thursday, June 5, 2008

WARNING

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO WRANGLE CHICKEN WIRE WITH A 60 LB KITTEN!! (and no drill!)

So-- I cut the wire to fit with my spiffy new tin snips. I quickly figured out it was best to work against the coil of the roll. After I was brutally molested by the chicken wire trying to re-roll itself (Not too bad on the skin getting scratched, except where the flip flops and cute skirt afford no protection from the invisible and sharp little ends of the chicken wire) I ended up with a cinder block holding down one end and the watering can holding down the other.
SUCCESS!
Then I saw the boards to the correct length; (at this point I think to my self--damn-- this is gonna rock!! This is so easy.) then I remember that I have lent Andre my drill so I can't really connect the boards just yet--okay. It is gonna be a pretty simple procedure. Screw four boards together to make a box, drape chicken wire over box. Protect lettuce from hungry legomorphs. EXCEPT, Luna will insist upon carrying away the boards... and it is hot & muggy today. Did I mention I don't have a drill to screw the four corners of the frame together? God damn it Luna those sticks are NOT for "fetch". OKAY! I can take a hint. Fate is telling me to pause.
In for ice water break.
Back out in the garden--
I sprinkled chili powder all around the lettuce this trick has worked with traditional furrow plantings, neither bunnies nor chipmunks seem to care for spicy smells. and dear reader, I shit you not..no sooner do I start to walk away and call Andre about his new curtains at his new crib & the drill..LUNA IS LICKING THE CHILI POWDER OUT OF THE LETTUCE PATCH!!

No comments: