Sunday, August 26, 2007

beautiful sunday

1. The NY Times has yet to make the move successfully. GRRRRR.
1b.) Ray treated us to breakfast at The Bomber.
2. Matthew has started his last term as a Sparty sophomore. He'll be a junior at the holiday break. *whimper*
3. I finally broke down and bought a replacement pair of new gloves. Now the old ones will turn up. Right? Upon getting said gloves home, Zoli helped me tear out all the ancient grape vines and sturdy maple seedlings that had tried to eliminate the massive hostas and the ostrich ferns along the back of the garage. That bed had been screaming to me to get it cleaned up. By Pass loppers to the rescue. Damn that tool makes me feel butch.
These hostas are HUGE. They must be like 40 years old. They are easily 2 ft across. The variegated kind (both yellow & white) and the biggest most beautiful blue, I'm not a big hosta head, in fact Eric will remember helping me "get rid of" (roflmao!) the ones at Wallace. I have a new respect for hostas. In fact I amd going to go so far as to say..I am fond of them.
4. We used the membership discount and saw Duck Soup at the Michigan Theater this afternoon. It was wonderful. Zoli was ecstatic. He is such a big fan of the Marx Bros. It was fun to hear him and Evan laughing. Poor Zeppo--it must have sucked to be him.
5. I finished Book Three of the His Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. Wow. They are so beautifully written. They are heart wrenching and so ...thoughtful. I am going to find my Milton and re-read Paradise Lost. These books also reminded me of my love for William Blake. This one is from his "Songs of Experience"

The Voice of the Ancient Bard.

Youth of delight come hither:
And see the opening morn,
Image of truth new born.
Doubt is fled & clouds of reason.
Dark disputes & artful teazing.
Folly is an endless maze,
Tangled roots perplex her ways,

How many have fallen there!
They stumble all night over bones of the dead;
And feel they know not what but care;
And wish to lead others when they should be led.

No comments: