Friday, June 13, 2008

jangled nerves


fear
dread
anxiety

I like to have control in my life. I like things where I control the speed; motorcycles, snowmobiles, cars. Who doesn't love a good handbrake? One thing I cannot control is the weather. When I was about seven or eight years old I saw a tornado go through a mobile home park. I saw a trailer collapse in on itself as if it were a beer can in the fist of college football player. In my mind it is like the smoke monster on LOST.

As an adult, I have overcome my complete dread of thunder storms by watching my husband who goes out and welcomes the smell of ozone. The anticipation on his face, he looks like he is getting ready for a roller coaster. But damn..ya know...in the last few weeks I have begun to wonder if Global Warming isn't dragging us into a new climate. Like the dinosaurs (maybe a modern correlative would be polar bears) are gonna go extinct any second now.

It appears to me that flowers are blooming faster and frankly the weather has just been WIERD. It makes my stomach hurt.
Sudden little freaky storms that break shit..like clotheslines and TREES!

The broccoli tree finally fell down. It squashed Jim & Gwen's garage.

and now Wisconsin has washed away. I am sure you saw on the weather channel the footage of Lake Delton washing into the river, it has rained so much our SCA event had to cancel because the park is under water, the bridge washed out and the highway north of Chicago is closed and they are "rescuing people by boat." Feh.

here is a snippet from the depressing email

"Greetings to the loyal friends of the Griffon and Dragon,

It is with a heavy heart that the Autocrats of Border Skirmish V, set to start today and run through Sunday, inform you that the event is cancelled due to heavy rains last night at the campsite. There is between 2-4 inches of standing water all over the fields. We were hoping that the weather would hold and the event could continue as planned but Mother Nature has decided against that. The skirmish between the Kingdoms of Northshield and
the Midrealm has been put on hold for our lands to dry from the wet. We are sorry for the last minute notice to you all.

We ask the populace of the Known World to help spread the word of the event being cancelled to as many lists as we can.

We are hoping to reschedule the Border Skirmish event for a later time in the summer/fall. We will send correspondence in regards to a new date as soon as we can.

Thank you for your understanding and we hope to see you at Border Skirmish V later in the year. If anyone has any questions either of the autocrats would be happy to help you."

whimper.sniff

No comments: