Monday, November 20, 2017

something I've never done before...




When I was a wee little girl my mom's dad had an exquisite rose garden. He was very proud of his roses and I have a million memories of his beautiful yard. He passed away in March of this year. As a tribute to him I promptly purchased a couple of bare root Lincoln Roses.  I am afraid I did not inherit any of his amazing skills. I haven't ever tried to grow hybrid roses. My taste in flowers runs more to the wild daisy  range and so this was going to be a challenge. I have learned a lot. My goodness they are picky! I am used to throwing seed on the ground and maybe watering it! I got several beautiful blooms and now that the weather is getting frosty (actually snowy yesterday!) and it seemed time to tuck in the new babies. This morning I trimmed them down, removed crispy leaves and snuggled the stems into loose soil. I then wrapped burlap around metal frames and wished them well.  Let's see how they are in the spring!

No comments: