Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Life with Lark: Day Four

Just in case you think it is all cuddles and cute?; last night was a mess!

Despite two humans going to three pet stores in two days, we failed to see how low the adult dog kibble was in the tub.  Mid afternoon Monday I hit Meijer's for people food and also went to the pet store. I procured 25 pounds of Big Girl chow. As I was checking out, I impulse purchased three tiny lil .99 chew things. I did check the ingredients, potato starch. Shouldn't be a problem. Came home and gave each doggo a treat. Luna, sniffed and was unimpressed. Keiki chomped hers down in about five seconds. Lark immediately ran to her crate and started happily gnawing. Head and chewie in the corner, butt towards Keiki who was all, "Hey, if you don't. want that..."  After about two minutes Lark was over it and went to investigate something else. Keiki helped herself. Keiki also stole Luna's untouched chewie. Within about ten minutes Keiki had inhaled all three.

After dinner (6ish) Keiki a.) did NOT want dinner and b.) got really sleepy, odd but it has been an exciting few days. But then, c.) she was shivering. Pete and I are both now on high alert watching Keiki and wondering if she ate a dead thing that was disagreeing with her or if something horrible had happened. About 7:30pm she comes over to me, nudging with a big drool string. Her face was very "I don't feel good. Do I have to go to school?" I sat up and started to pet her face when she vomited all the yuck. Big chunks of stupid chewies and a lot of puppy kibble prominent in the slop. Well. That answered that. As we are busy cleaning that up, (#romance) Lark decides it is time for a poo. IN THE LIBRARY.  ADORABLE. #sigh. This is exactly what I signed up for! I got what I asked for!

well actually....Pack Integration is going remarkably well. Keiki is very protective/maternal of the puppy. Luna could care less. Lark is hilarious and supercute, even if she likes to poo in warm dark corners. She has asked to go out a couple times. YAY! It is wet and cold out there and she hadn't ever been out of a shelter before moving in.

In fact, in the last week she has moved from TN, lost her mom, lost her sibs, got spayed, met Luna and Keiki. Met a cat. (Which has since disappeared now that Izzy & Peppercorn are back in the D. Explain that to a puppy!) Learned how to handle stairs and couches (did I mention adorable?) and her kibble is the most delicious kibble in the house, except to her. She wants the aforementioned Big Girl kibble.  Oi.   PS-- Z has some nasty virus and it would be cruel to leave them all alone so no swimming today.

No comments: