Wednesday, May 16, 2018

RiP Rose the Duck

Well fuck. This was less disgusting than the roadkill skunk in Feb. But it is a bummer. I honestly am more surprised and sadden by this mysterious duck death than I was upset over any of the three geriatric hens that passed this winter.

Where shall I start this saga? Did you watch LOST? Do ya remember Rose and Bernard?

For the past 8-10 years, a pair of wild ducks have announced spring by hanging out in my koi pond. Whoever saw them first would announce, "HEY! Rose & Bernard are back." It was a happy thing. Glance out the kitchen window and smile at the ducks. This spring either some of their offspring or just two new boys (I named THEM Hap&Leonard) have been lurking about.
 This morning after thinning the radish seedlings I peeked at the pond to see how Jesse and Mr. White were doing. The koi were fine. (hold that thought) But as I approached the pond I saw what I guessed to be an upturned rootball. I thought maybe the fish (who are quite a bit bigger this year at about 9-10 inches each) were going to start fulfilling the rumors I have heard of their will to rearrange things to their satisfaction. BUT NO! It was not a sodden mass of water lily roots. It was a drowned lady duck! AND SHE WASN'T DEAD YESTERDAY! 

SO... either a.) she just keeled over doing what she loved (that is-- floating in the pond) or as Izzy and I started to surmise, perhaps she met an untimely death. PERHAPS she was MURDERED! By  Bernard? He seemed a wee bit confused but casually hopped right back in the pond as if to say, "Oh good, my wife's corpse has conveniently disappeared." OR b.) having also heard stories of fiesty koi killing songbirds maybe Jesse and Mr White* are living up to their namesakes' reputations  OR PERHAPS... c.) Hap and Leonard have forsaken the TV characters after which they were named and instead of solving a murder mystery they have in some fit of jealous ducky mafia real estate war, took out the offending wench in order to claim the prized spot. (Nice dogs, lots of bird seed and leftover koi food)?  After a brief forensic prodding Iz and I are unable to explain this situation.  

*If you don't get this comment see "Breaking Bad".

No comments: