Tuesday, March 31, 2020

The Leaning Tower of Potatoes

Amongst all the other drama I am watching our gardening zone shift from five to six. Climate change is real. It is warm. The forsythia is getting ready to pop. I am itching to get my garden settled. That would be silly. The weather is still too cold and like everything else in this world undependable. The soil is workable-- but frigid and soggy. The planting calendar at Farmer's Almanac says and I am paraphrasing here, "Most seeds will rot in the ground." That same trusted source assures me it is potato o'clock. YAY A PROJECT!
 I have done potato towers VERY successfully in the past and thus today I did a thing! YAY! Having learned from past endeavors I have secured the burlap to the edge of the cage and believe it or not, (I know she is NOT exactly level) I am confident it will not spill over as that metal stake is secure. What is funny about this is that the flip side of the bag is very glittery. The Labyrinth party projects had a lot of spray glitter involved and it was the "let's not spray the garage floor" protection. It is my last burlap bag.  It seems like so long ago that party... OK BUCK UP! Soon lettuce and spinach can get sown!

I did a couple other things today (gotta keep chores for when Pete is at the  office. Makes me twitchy  to just sit and worry.)  I steam cleaned the carpets CUZ PUPPY! That killed almost two hours.

I also took the practice strip off my loom. I learned about floating  selvedge (so I can change colors MUCH more gracefully) and how to hem/stitch the ends. Made a foot long, ugly, over tensioned cat toy for Ms. Peppercorn. Now I can start a nice strap for the basket I have in mind. Much like the garden. It really needs to be warmer to get basketry stuff out. I really like working on the patio for that.

The third thing  I did was start Z's birthday dessert request. He loves caramel and asked for chocolate cupcakes with caramel in the middle.  I made the caramel and it  is chilling in the fridge for tomorrow's adventure. I am thinking that the frozen discs of caramel should do a lava cake kind of thing? I dunno. There will be pics!

Spaghetti and meatballs tonight. Guess I should go start thawing stuff and start the sauce.

No comments: