Sunday, July 26, 2020

The Greenhouse

I don't know where to start. My fondness for Krause's Greenhouse in Vassar, MI? Naw.

My husband's fantastic effort to
a.) stand on a ladder (he has thing about heights, which he claims he is "over"
b.) drill about 999 mostly straight screws  
c.) not only understand, but spot, quickly remedy, and not even lose a step the biggest issue? yep.

I should start there.  But instead, I will use chronology and pictures.  On Friday, about lunchtime, a truck came. She beeped her backward butt past the front porch construction* hissed her air brakes and deposited a load.

It was a very large truck.

The truck had a hydraulic lift gate and a wee little fork lift that enabled the nice man wearing cowboy boots and jam shorts (and I thought *I* was embracing 'Quarantine Couture' HA!) to easily deposit the six hundred pound flat pack of preformed kit... OF MY GREENHOUSE!

It took every ounce of my will power to NOT start tearing boxes open. I waited. Like an adult who has leveled up in Patience Prowess. Back in my 20's I would have been in those boxes like a rabid hyena on a hot dog cart.

Early Saturday morning the HouseFam gathered. We stood contemplating the physics of seven large,  VERY HEAVY and poorly balanced boxes. It was obvious that as soon as we cut the wrapping we were going to have the world's biggest Blooming Onion (tm).  We calmly debated best how to unbox the beast. Finally, stationed around it, awkwardly hugging hot cardboard, the four of us successfully removed the boxes from the pallet.  Whew. 
Where we paused after lunch. 6.5 hours in.
It was made very clear that Pete was "point man" and *I* was going to be "helper". For Dear Reader, he had actually WATCHED the instructional video. I tried very hard to not be bossy and obnoxious. I only quietly second guessed a  couple things. We did NOT get in an argument. ALL DAY!! Even when my brilliant husband realized the trusses were NOT going to line up with the rafters and he had to reposition ten little framing thingies that were WRONG.

It was a beautiful day. Sunny and clear and really a pleasant 85F. In the sun... working... PFFFFT BREAK!!  Z went off to work. I zipped around town grabbing library books and pre-ordered ice cream. Because that is life now. I walked Keiki. Food was nommed.

Pete tagged J. because it was obvious that my little T Rex arms were not gonna be of any benefit. Nor would the petite artiste be of any construction help.  About 7pm, the temp starts dropping and we head back out to do the hard part. Less than two hours later the roof bits were installed and the skeeters were getting annoying.

YAY TALL PERSON!
All that is left is installing the vent pistons and I am ready for shelves!

---------
*Our purple house still has white stripes because the painter guys are waiting on St. Mike and AmazingDon to rebuild the front porch. It was bad. It is gonna be amazing. FunFact the spindles are coming from FARGO!







No comments: