Sunday, January 14, 2018

Still technically Hawaii

Upon our recent trip, I was (of course!) intrigued to learn about Hawai'in food. That topic may take a  few posts to cover cuz SPAM!, "macnuts" and taro bread. I want to talk about the strong Japanese influence, plus the Portugese influence, native produce VS imports, seafood-- oh holy mother of god Poke Bowls (tm). NOM. I think the wild chickens might end up under food too...SO MUCH fascinating stuff to taste! In addition to the Hawaiin food, I also got a Verde sauce lesson from Chris and chorizo tips from her pal Tammy. But YES, Pineapple is ubiquitous. I learned that at the Dole Plantation that it isn't native, but it is thriving.

Chris got us to several bakeries and at liliha bakery I was interested to see a popular gel topping. It is a very thick fruit glaze, especially on cheesecake bars. I was immediately inspired to make a pineapple cheesecake. FTW!

I was particulary proud of this one because A.) My ovens aren't quite dead yet. A new set has been ordered. I trust my over 30 year-old thermostat about as much as I trust cooking over a fire B.) The macadamia nut and panko crust is FAR superior to graham crackers or even ginger snaps.


No comments: