Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Winter Plumeria

I adore plants. Living in Michigan and having only the persistently cheerful conifers to keep one company throughout winter, frequent trips to Matthaei's Greenhouse are necessary.

Thank goodness I was lucky enough to be invited to visit friends in Hawaii. I was pleasantly bemused to encounter these beautiful blossoms in Oahu. Plumeria come in several colors but they all have an intoxicating scent, a haunting hint of vanilla. They are so perfect they seem unreal. They are a popular choice for making leis. I was immediately reminded of fondant flowers on a wedding cake.  I was pleased to learn they are also called frangiapani, which are a central motif in Jean Rhys'  novel WIDE SARGASSO SEA.  (one of my top 20 favorite novels) Plumeria quickly became my new favorite flower. (who am I kidding? all flowers are my favorite!) My dear friend Lisa C. asked if any botanical gardens were on the itinerary and I responded that Hawaii IS a garden! I know she was curious because we have been know to plan trips around such magical places as the lovelyStorm King  and Chanticleer. We did visit the waterfall at Waimea Valley, but that will be tomorrow's post.






No comments: