Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Chickens & Climate Change

The first egg from Isa Red Pullets.



If we don't get some sunshine soon I may as well keep pigeons. According to their age and feathering--I expected the girls to start laying around Dec 25th. Finally got an egg last night, a full month later. In their defense it has been cloudy AF.  I guess the SPF is good? But I do worry about growth cycle of plants. I predict Michigan is gonna turn into mossy Seattle/Portland. Mild winters like the UK? YAY for bees! I guess. As long as I am fretting about the environment.  Let me rant about recycling.  

Last week "they" didn't pick up recycling AT ALL. I, of course tried to rationalize an excuse for shitty service; Covid=less drivers? Z phoned and they said they couldn't get it till regular day. OK. Let it go. 

HOWEVER--Once again, I am questioning the efficacy of this "service".  I want to trust them. I do not. I just watched the same truck dumb our carefully sorted recycling into the same truck, the same compartment as the garbage. Why do I bother sorting if their "single stream" just means landfill? Their webpage does not have easily accessible answers. I do not want to be placated. I want the shit to get recycled.  




 

No comments: